Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

От Steve Wolfe
Тема Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> What I said: "SCSI disks cost a lot more than comparable IDE disks."
>
> What you said: "No, because I found some cheap SCSI disks that
> don't have comparable IDE models."

  That's not what I said.  If you're going to quote me, get it right.

> My statement only operates in the domain where
> there ARE comparable models.

  You say that SCSI disks are more expensive than comparable IDE disks.  I
say that it's usually impossible to find an IDE disk that truly *is*
comparable to a SCSI disk - and when you do, you're generally comparing
the most recent IDE disk to an older SCSI disk.

  If nothing but peak transfer rate is all that matters to you in a hard
drive, then yes, you can find comparable IDE and SCSI disks - but if
that's all that matters, you're being pretty short-sighted.  And to
compare nothing but drive features when talking about your disk I/O
subsytem is also very short-sighted.

steve