Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От Kane Tao
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
I second this.  I am sure you will not be able to get a good idea of the
database for some people have no problems with it and some do.  My main
concern for the database used in a mission critical application is that
1)  It requires a VERY skilled DBA in both Unix and PostgreSQL
2)  There are few tools that make for ease of development and
administration.
3)  Documentation is no where near as detailed or all encompassing as a
database like Oracle.
4)  There are certain instances when the database requires a rebuild from
scratch or tape that are not related to hardware failure or disk corruption.
.5)  There are no transaction logs or redo logs that allow you to recover
the database to a point in time or handle hot online backups.
6)  It does not scale up to multi processor/multi threading very well (As I
understand it).
7)  A vacuum has to be run often (at a regular interval) taking up valuable
system resources...locking tables and sometimes just failing utterly.

Although I will say I have been very happy with it as far as what I use it
for which is web site/e-commerce development.  Usually mirroring or
distributed off of another internal coporate server :)