Fail to restore index tables by pg_dumpall

От Jessica Ord
Тема Fail to restore index tables by pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Dear Psql-bugs Group,

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but I really hope if any of you can
help me.  My problem is I logged as postgres superuser. I then backed up my
PostgreSQL database with version 6.4.2 by using pg_dumpall.

# pg_dumpall -o > db.all

Then, I initialize the template1 by running,
# initdb --template

After that, I restored this file onto a newer version of PostgreSQL 7.0.2 by
the below command.

# psql -e template1 < db.all

However, I login to the database and I noticed that all the tables are
restored properly except all my index tables are missing.

I then scrutinized the file generated by the pg_dumpall.  For example, the
following statement is found in the file but it didn't seem to create the
'status_index' table.

CREATE  INDEX "status_index" on "ribs_log" using btree ( "status"
"int4_ops" );

I would be grateful if any of you could tell me how to backup and restore
back the index tables into a newer version of database in case I have done
it incorrectly.  I only test the restoration on a test machine with version
7.0.2 but in actual fact I will have to restore the database onto Postgres
6.5.3 which is bundled with the Linux Redhat 6.2.  I just want to make sure
that I know all the steps before I tried it on the machine with PostgreSQL
6.5.3.  I have presumed that there shouldn't have much difference, am I
right?

I hope to hear from any of you soon as I am really desperate to migrate all
the old data into the new machine.

Thank you.

regards,
Jessica Ord