Re: Synchronous Standalone Master Redoux

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Synchronous Standalone Master Redoux
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org]
> On Behalf Of Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
>>On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com>
wrote:

> As currently is, the point of: freezing the master because standby
> dies is not good for all cases (and I dare say: for most cases), and
> having to wait for pacemaker or other monitoring to note that, change
> master config and reload... it will cause a service disruption! (for
> several seconds, usually, ~30 seconds).

Yes, this is true that it can cause service disruption, but the same will be
True even if master detects that internally by having timeout.
By keeping this as external, the current behavior of PostgreSQL can be
maintained that
if there is no standy in sync mode, it will wait and still serve the purpose
as externally it can send message for master.