Fw: Performance UPDATE/INSERT

От MG
Тема Fw: Performance UPDATE/INSERT
Дата
Re: Fw: Performance UPDATE/INSERT  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello,
I have the following scenario:
The application read one record from a file, which contains 100 000 records.
The application checks on different conditions if this record is allready
save in the table 'test'.
If this record exists then the application manipulates record and updates
the record with UPDATE in PostgreSQL. This UPDATE affects allways 50
columns and PostgreSQL uses an index.
If this record doesn`t exit the application manipulate the record and makes
an INSERT.
Then it reads the next record from the file and so on ...

In on extreme case the application  makes 100 000  INSERTs, in the other
extreme case 100 000 UPDATES. Normally the UPDATES are more that INSERTs.
Here I notice that the first case (100 000  INSERTs)  takes about 30 minues,
but the 100 000 UPDATES about 1 hour.

 I can't  prepare the file to  use an COPY, because the application
 manipulates the records from the file in a complex way.
 I've also tried with vaccum to get more performance, but hat no success.

 Michaela