Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This concept of using complex types in tables actually does have one
legitimate use.  When used with casts and functions, you could use it as a
"poor-man's datatype"  development method.

Here is a hypothetical example.  Imagine for a moment that there was no CIDR
datatype.  I could create a datatype as a set of ints and then create
casting functions which I could use for display of the data.  This would be
similar to C except that it could be done by people like myself whose C
coding skills are not up to the level where I or anyone else would want them
in the database backend ;-)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers