Re: how much postgres can scale up?

От Anibal David Acosta
Тема Re: how much postgres can scale up?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Excellent.

Thanks I'll buy and read that book :)

Thanks!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig@postnewspapers.com.au]
Enviado el: viernes, 10 de junio de 2011 09:13 a.m.
Para: Anibal David Acosta
CC: tv@fuzzy.cz; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Asunto: Re: [PERFORM] how much postgres can scale up?

On 06/10/2011 08:56 PM, Anibal David Acosta wrote:
> The version is Postgres 9.0
> Yes, I setup the postgres.conf according to instructions in the
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
>

> Cool, I will check this
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Logging_Difficult_Queries
>
> Looks like great starting point to find bottleneck
>
> But so, Is possible in excellent conditions that two connections duplicate the quantity of transactions per second?

For two connections, if you have most of the data cached in RAM or you have lots of fast disks, then sure. For that
matter,if they're synchronized scans of the same table then the second transaction might perform even faster than the
firstone!

There are increasing overheads with transaction synchronization, etc with number of connections, and they'll usually
landup contending for system resources like RAM (for disk cache, work_mem, etc), disk I/O, and CPU time. So you won't
generallyget linear scaling with number of connections.

Greg Smith has done some excellent and detailed work on this. I highly recommend reading his writing, and you should
considerbuying his recent book "PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance".

See also:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization

There have been lots of postgresql scaling benchmarks done over time, too. You'll find a lot of information if you look
aroundthe wiki and Google.

--
Craig Ringer

Сообщение: Re: how much postgres can scale up?
Сообщение: Re: how much postgres can scale up?