BLOBs

От Marin Dimitrov
Тема BLOBs
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

what is the recommended way to work with LOBs in Postgres 7.2?

there are certain performance related issues with BYTEA if it is read as a
whole and not by chunks

on the other hand storing LOBs as Large Objects and using a propriety API
does not seem like a good idea to me (besides the docs mention more
limitation of the Large Objects method)

so I wander - what method do u people use to store LOBs when working with
JDBC applications? BYTEA is not quite the  JDBC type LOB where u expect to
work with LOB locators and not retrieve the whole data record (similar to
Oracle's LONG), on the other hand working with Large Objects induces certain
inefficiency (custom API, certain limitations)

any advice?

thanx,

    Marin

----
"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When
you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you.
Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the
old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "