problem converting from 8.0.4 to 8.1beta3: character encoding

От Rick Schumeyer
Тема problem converting from 8.0.4 to 8.1beta3: character encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I have a database in pg 8.0.4 that is encoded as UNICODE.  Somehow, some “strange” characters made it in there.  Mostly, several instances of ‘ (apostrophe) are really some extended character.  They display in a text editor as \222 (or something similar).  I’m not sure how that happened, but they display properly in a web application; in psql they seem to be ignored.

In any event, if I pg_dump the database and attempt to load it into 8.1beta3, I get an error for each of these characters.  The beta3 database is encoded in UTF8, which I understand is the same as UNICODE.  Perhaps this is incorrect?

I’m not familiar on the character encoding issues, so any help is appreciated!