Re: [HACKERS] Out of memory problem (forwarded bug report)

От Vladimír Beneš
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Out of memory problem (forwarded bug report)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
-----Původní zpráva-----
Od: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Komu: Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
Kopie: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org <pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org>;
Vladimir.Benes@pvt.cz <Vladimir.Benes@pvt.cz>
Datum: 22. února 2000 18:06
Předmět: Re: [HACKERS] Out of memory problem (forwarded bug report)

>"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
>> Can someone advise, please, how to deal with this problem in 6.5.3?
>

>My guess is that the cause is memory leaks during expression evaluation;
>but without seeing the complete view definitions and underlying table
>definitions, it's impossible to know what processing is being invoked
>by this query...
>
> regards, tom lane

   Well, I will append views and underlying table definition:

1) Once again - failure query:
select comm_type,name,tot_bytes,tot_packets
from flow_sums_days_send_200002_view
where day='2000-02-21' and name not like '@%'
union all
select comm_type,name,tot_bytes,tot_packets
from flow_sums_days_receive_200002_view
where day='2000-02-21' and name not like '@%'

2) views definition:
create view flow_sums_days_send_200002_view as
select 'send'::varchar as comm_type, date_trunc('day',start) as day, src_name as name, sum(bytes) as tot_bytes,
sum(packets)as tot_packets

from flow_sums_200002
group by day, src_name

create view flow_sums_days_receive_200002_view as
select 'receive'::varchar as comm_type, date_trunc('day',start) as day, dst_name as name, sum(bytes) as tot_bytes,
sum(packets)as tot_packets

from flow_sums_200002
group by day, dst_name

I wanted create only one usefull view:

create view flow_sums_days_200002_view as
select 'send'::varchar as comm_type, date_trunc('day',start) as day, src_name as name, sum(bytes) as tot_bytes,
sum(packets)as tot_packets

from flow_sums_200002
group by day, src_name
UNION ALL
select 'receive'::varchar as comm_type, date_trunc('day',start) as day, dst_name as name, sum(bytes) as tot_bytes,
sum(packets)as tot_packets

from flow_sums_200002
group by day, dst_name

...but Postgres cann't use clause UNION ALL at view definition. So I created
two views mentioned above and I wanted use this ones with UNION ALL clause
only.

3) underlaying table definition:
create table flow_sums_200002 (   primary_collector varchar(50) not null,   start datetime not null,   end_period
datetimenot null,   dead_time_rel float4 not null,   src_name varchar(50) not null,   dst_name varchar(50) not null,
bytesint8 not null,   packets int4 not null

)
   Today this table has about 3 000 000 rows and the select command
mentioned above returns 190 + 255 rows.

   Now I don't use clause "UNION ALL" and the program executes two queryes
and then adds both result to new result. I reduced time increment of number
rows to flow_sums_200002 table (three times less). This table contains data
of February 2000 and the program will create table flow_sums_200003 with
relevant views next month.   Well, now this solution solve my problem but always depends on number of
rows - I only moved limit of rows count.

           Thank You, V. Benes

P.S.: I append part of top on my system while the query is running:

CPU states: 98.6% user,  1.3% system,  0.0% nice,  0.0% idle
Mem:  127256K av, 124316K used,   2940K free,  29812K shrd,   2620K buff
Swap: 128516K av,  51036K used,  77480K free                  7560K cached
 PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
2942 postgres  20   0  141M  99M 17348 R       0 99.0 80.4   1:22 postmaster

=> postmaster later took 80 - 95% of memory, free memory decressed to 2 MB,
CPU was overloaded (0% idle and 99% by user process of postmaster). Have You
ever seen something similar :-) ?