Functions returning more than one value

От Chris Ruprecht
Тема Functions returning more than one value
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi all,

How can I get more than one value back from a function?

I have a situation here, where a function needs to return a value - but also
needs to indicate from which type of record the value comes.

The most elegant would be something like the 2 functions listed below. They
don't work, since v_val3 and v_val4 are treated as constants in test2() and
can not be changed. Is there a way this can make it into a future release?

Best regards,
Chris

drop    function    test1();
create  function    test1() returns integer as '
declare   v_res   boolean;   v_val1  integer;   v_val2  integer;

begin   v_val1  := 1;   v_val2  := 2;   v_res   := test2( v_val1, v_val2 );   return v_val1 + v_val2;
end;

' language 'plpgsql';

drop    function    test2(integer, integer);
create  function    test2(integer, integer) returns boolean as '

declare
   v_val3  alias for $1;   v_val4  alias for $2;

begin   v_val3  := 3;   v_val4  := 4;   return true;
end;

' language 'plpgsql';