Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc

От Markus KARG
Тема Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

No, unfortunately not, as there is a big difference between compression and binary transmission. See the following example:

<Some-Element xyz="345678,901">

               <Some-Other-Element abc="54321,876">

                              <Some-Value my-attribute="123456,789"/>

               </Some-Other-Element>

</Some-Element>

With compression, you can certainly get rid of the whitespace, and if the compression algorithms is better you even will have refs instead of element names, but that's it, mostly. What about the numbers? Still transfered untouched, as unique hence uncompressable. So lots of integers and decimals screws compression.

Binary transmission on the other hand will only need four bytes per integer. That makes twelve bytes for all the above attributes.

To sum up, compressed transmission should be an option that is performed on a lower level (like gzip transmission with http), but is *additive* to binary transmission. The latter should be used even in case no compressed transmission is in place at all.

-Markus