Re: Temporal Databases

От Rodrigo Sakai
Тема Re: Temporal Databases
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Simon, sorry for the late answer! What I really need is a temporal
database that can check some temporal constraints, like, imagine you have
two tables:

employee (emp_id, name, address, start_date, end_date)

where [start_date, end_date] is the period that the employee worked or still
works in the company!

the second table keeps all salary that this employee have along the time!

salary (emp_id, salary, start_date, end_date)

where [start_date, end_date] is the period that the salary was valid for
this employee.

So, is necessary to check if the period of salary is inside (exists) in
employee. Almost like foreign keys, where you have to verify if
salary.emp_id exists in employee.emp_id.

So, I was thinking in extend the triggers that check the RI constraints. And
do others modifications.

I know that oracle's flachback functionality is for recovery, but it
implements a kind of temporal functionality because it keeps track the exact
time (transaction time) that a transaction commited.

            Thanks for your help!