RE: [GENERAL] Multi-threading on PostgreSQL?

От Tiago Hermans
Тема RE: [GENERAL] Multi-threading on PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > My concern comes from the fact that there's no multi-threading
> support in
> > PostgreSQL and since we expect many customers to be connected
> at the same
> > time on multiple connections, I am afraid the time to perform the SQL
> > statements will be much longer, since they'll all be queued one
> after the
> > other. Therefore, if one query takes a long time, all the other
> queries have
> > to wait behind before being executed.
> >
> > Am I missing something or are my assumptions correct?
> > Also, does PostgreSQL supports international characters?
>
> We certainly process multiple queries at the same time.  We are not
> multi-threaded in the sense we don't run multiple queries inside the
> same process.  Each connection gets its own process.
>
> I am interested to hear why you thought we only do one query at a time.
> Is there some information we published or someone else published that
> lead you to that conclusion.

In the URL: http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html
the "Multi-threaded" and "Parallel Query" bullets are not active. I guess
these words should be explained with a hyperlink to avoid confusion. You
have such a great product, if I didn't register on the mailing list and
posted this message, I would have been totally wrong in my assumptions, and
looking at the history of the list, I am not the only one.

Anyway, we are downloading PostgreSQL today and will port our SQL code to
try it out.

Thank you for your reply and clarification on this.

Tiago