Servlet problems

От Nikola Milutinovic
Тема Servlet problems
Дата
Re: Servlet problems
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi all.

I'm a bit confused here. I'm using Tomcat JSP/Servlet engine. I have a database in PostgreSQL, which holds a table
describingan n-tree structure (hierarchy). I would like my JSP page to able to display (if parameter "print" is
present)a complete sub-tree of a given node. This is a simple recursion. What I'm trying to do is make our coroporate
E-Mailaddress book, so I have organizational units and users.

Without recursion everything works fine, all the direct subnodes are displayed. When I use recusrion to include all
subnodes,I get strange errors.

First, it was killing the response in the middile of a table, in the middle of a row. Now it dies with
"NullPointerException:next()". In other words, in one of the "ResultSet.next()" methods, it runs into a non existant
ResultSet.

I have tried putting a "breakpoint" (throwing a ServletException) on all lines of my JSP page. When there is a
"breakpoint"I do not run into a NullPointerException. When I remove it, I have exception.

My conclusion was that I get the error AFTER my JSP page starts emerging from the recursion (if it was inside
recursion,it would have been stopped by the "breakpoint"). So, after a page calls itself once, the "insider" does it's
thingand then exits and releases control to it's caller, the the exception occurs.

I must admit that JSP page closes it's JDBC objects, I thought it would be OK, since the page creates them.

This is the flow of events:

OUDisplay.jsp [instance 1]:
----------------------------
  DriverManager.getConnection()
  Connection.createStatement()
  Statement.executeQuery()
  while( ResultSet.next() ) {
    <jsp.include page="OUDisplay.jsp" />

    OUDisplay.jsp [instance 2]:
    ----------------------------
      DriverManager.getConnection()
      Connection.createStatement()
      Statement.executeQuery()
      while( ResultSet.next() ) {
      }
      ResultSet.close()
      Statement.close()
      Connection.close()

  }
  ResultSet.close()
  Statement.close()
  Connection.close()

The problem occurs inside the outer "next() {...}", which leads me to believe that Some objects in the "instance 1" get
screwedup, but I don't know how.

Any insight?

Nix.