Re: Transaction Handling in pl/pgsql

От Craig Bryden
Тема Re: Transaction Handling in pl/pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
What if the select calling my function is not in it's own explicit
transaction block?

Thanks
Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com>
To: "Craig Bryden" <postgresql@bryden.co.za>
Cc: "pgsql" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Transaction Handling in pl/pgsql

On 7/12/05, Craig Bryden <postgresql@bryden.co.za> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get a better understanding of how transactions work in
> pl/pgsql functions. I found the following text in the help:
> "It is important not to confuse the use of BEGIN/END for grouping
statements
> in PL/pgSQL with the database commands for transaction control. PL/pgSQL's
> BEGIN/END are only for grouping; they do not start or end a transaction"
> but I am still a bit confused.
>
> Suppose I have a function that will be called from an application. Will
all
> the statements in the function be rolled back if the last one generates an
> exception? or do I need to add code to a function to make that happen?

suppose you have: select your_function();

your_function adds some rows but the last one gives an error, because
all statements that are out of a transaction block are in its own
transaction the select calling your_function is inside a
transaction... so, the answer is yes... the statements inside the
function will be rolled back

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova