Re: find column names from query

От Tjibbe Rijpma
Тема Re: find column names from query
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I have the same kind of problem in PLpgsql.

But a solution for your problem in PHP can be the functions:

$int_colums = pg_num_fields($result);

for ( $col = 0; $col < $int_colums; $col++ ) {
    $field_name = pg_field_name( $this->str_pg_result, $col);
    echo '<td>' . $field_name . '</td>' ;
}
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 7:46
Subject: [NOVICE] find column names from query

Hello,
I'm trying to find a way to get the column names of a table, knowing only the table name. (I'm trying to display the contents of various hidden support tables to the DB administrator)

here's what's happening:
user picks a table name from a select list (HTML),
a SELECT * FROM selected_table ... query is sent (PHP)
nested for loops print out the table data (PHP and HTML)
works great to here, although I realize I'm cheating a little.
problem is the data has no column labels.

going through the documentation I found the following:

SELECT attname::regclass FROM pg_attribute WHERE attrelid = travel::regclass

I'm trying to get the attname, which should be the column name, from the pg_attribute "table"(or catalog?) when attrelid, which should be the table name, which I have.

trying this query in PgadminIII I get:
ERROR:  cannot cast type name to regclass

I could go through and hardcode the table data into the application, but I'd prefer not to.

Any suggestions to make this work, or for better methods appreciated.
Ray

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Сообщение: Re: find column names from query
Сообщение: Re: find column names from query