Re: PostgreSQL and C#

От Daniel Morgan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and C#
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Nonsense.  You are not falling behind.  We all have to learn sometime.  Also, I am learning C# and Mono myself.  Remember, all the people working on Mono C# had to learn C# too.

If you want to help with the PostgreSQL System.Data.OleDb Provider in C#, come on over to http://www.go-mono.com/ and lend a hand.  The best person to talk to, if interested, is to email Rodrigo Moya at address rodrigo at gnome-db dot org.  He is the maintainer of Gnome-DB.  For more info about gnome-db, see http://www.gnome-db.org/

The efforts for creating the PostgreSQL provider in C# for Mono can be used in creating the PostgreSQL C# provider for dotGNU’s Portable.NET, Microsoft’s .NET Framework, and Rotor.   This way, no matter what language that you use that compiles to IL and runs on a CLR, you can access data from PostgreSQL databases.

Because Mono’s class library uses the X11 license (which is like the BSD license), it is open source.  You can use it in both open source and closed souce programs.

-----Original Message-----
From: medi@ncmx02.mgw.rr.com [mailto:medi@ncmx02.mgw.rr.com] On Behalf Of Medi Montaseri
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 12:33 AM
To: Daniel Morgan
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL and C#

Thank you very much Daniel....very informative....I guess I'm falling behind
on these new technologies indeed......good lecture.....

Cheers...

Daniel Morgan wrote:

This link will tell you what the Mono:: project is all about.

They have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) as well at:

http://www.go-mono.com/faq.html

To answer your questions, the Microsoft .NET is a "branding" that means many things.The Microsoft .NET Development Framework includes the .NET runtime (virtual machine and class library), compilers, linkers, assemblers, disassemblers, debuggers, etc..It does not include the GUI IDE, you need Visual Studio.net orSharpDevelop for that.

Java has many meanings: it is a technology, it has a virtual machine, it is a programming language, it has a compiler, etc...

Java has a Java Virtual Machine which was designed from the ground up for the java programming language.

The big deal about .net is that it was designed from the ground up to support many languages. Microsoft .NET Development Framework includes many compilers for various languages: C++, C#, Visual Basic, and Jscript (JavaScript/ECMAScript).

Many companies have created compilers for the .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime - this is the virtual machine for .NET).Fujitsu has created COBOL.NET,ActiveState has create PERL.NET and Python.NET compilers.There are many others out there.Even Borland plans to come out with Delphi and C++ Builder for .NET.

COM/OLE/ActiveX/DCOM/COM+ or whatever new name Microsoft came up with was originally supposed to solve the problem of writing programs using "objects" in different languages - easy to develop, update, and maintain - no matter what platform (in Microsoft terms, this meant Windows 95, Window NT, etc), programming language, or compiler you used to create your objects.You could create an object in Visual Basic, extend it using C++, and then use that inherited class in J++.

This fail short.

.NET was Microsoft's answer to that promise they made to their developers many years ago.Sure, there are different "component object modules" like CORBA, COM, XPCOM, SOM, and many others - but they are very hard to develop IMHO.

I am not going to get into a discussines about the pros and cons between jvm/java and .net/C# though.Simply because I am simply a programmer and not a software architect, so those kind of discussions I have no use for.I am only interested in what future programming positions I can get.

Microsoft submitted their specifications for C# and the CLI (Common Language Infratstructure) to the standards body ECMA. ECMA has since standardized it.

The Mono:: project is working on a C# and CLR for Linux.Currently, it works on Windows and Linux with other people trying to get it to work on FreeBSD and MacOS X. The C# compiler can build itself on Linux using its runtime.

Mono has created two CLR "virtual machines" .One is an interpreter that interprets the Intermediate Language bytecode.The other is a JIT (Just-In-Time compiler).A .NET program running on a JIT is much faster than on the interpreter; however, the interpreter is easier to port to another platform. The interpreter is called mint while the JIT is called mono. The C# compiler is called mcs.

Disclaimer, I am no expert at this. I am still learning C# and .NET.If you liked Java, you will like C# and .NET.

Daniel