RE: [HACKERS] Re: Max backend limits cleaned up

От Daryl W. Dunbar
Тема RE: [HACKERS] Re: Max backend limits cleaned up
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The default to-date has been 64.  The reason you don't see much
trouble with it is twofold, 1) Linux has a huge default for
semaphores and shared memory, 2) The old memory model allocated
semaphores in blocks of 16 up to MaxBackedId (which was hard coded
to 64).  I did not run into trouble on untuned Solaris until
postmaster tried to start the 49th backend (semaphores 49-64 when my
kernel defaulted to 60).

The new model allocates semaphores and shared memory at startup,
assuring you won't experience midstream troubles like I did.  It
does, however allocate to the max or -N setting, which most users
will probably never reach.

I'd vote for 32 as the default.

DwD