Postgres or Greenplum

От Simon Windsor
Тема Postgres or Greenplum
Дата
Re: Postgres or Greenplum
Список pgsql-general

Hi

I have been using Postgres for many years and have recently discover Greenplum, which appears to be a heavily modify Postgres based, multi node DB that is VERY fast.

All the tests that I have seen suggest that Greenplum when implemented on a single server, like Postgres, but with several  separate installations can be many time times faster than Postgres. This is achieved by using multiple  DBs to store the data and using multiple logger  and writer processes to fully use the all the resources of the server.

Has the Postgres development team ever considered using this technique to split the data into separate sequential files that can be accessed by multiple writers/reader processes? If so, what was the conclusion?

Finally,  thanks for all the good work over the years!

Simon

Simon Windsor

Eml: simon.windsor@cornfield.org.uk

Tel: 01454 617689

Mob: 07590 324560

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”