Re: [GENERAL] Upgrade to dual processor machine?

От Henrik Steffen
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
ok, now i subscribed to performance, too ;-)

> Well, now it gets more complicated.   You need to determine:
> A) The median processing time of each of those requests.
> B) The amount of Sort_mem actually required for each request.

as I am dealing with postgres for a webserver the median processing
time of each request has got to be <1 sec. how can i measure
the amount of sort_mem needed?

at the highest there are perhaps 20 concurrent database requests
at the same time. i have enabled 64 maximum connections, because
i have apache configured to use persistent database connections
using mod_perl and pg.pm. I set Apache to run MaxClients at 40
(there could additionally be some manual psql connections)

> Um, you do know that I'm talking about *database* requests -- that is,
> queries -- and not web page requests, yes?  If you're using server-side
> caching, there can be a *huge* difference.

yes, I did understand that. And when I measured 5.000 requests per minute
I looked at the pgsql.log (after enabling the debug options and counting
all the queries within minute). so, server-side caching does not appear
within these 5.000 requests... that's for sure.

> If you have 5000 requests per minute, and only 64 connections, then I
> can hypothesize that:
> 1) you are doing some kind of connection pooling;
> 2) those are exclusively *read-only* requests;
> 3) those are very simple requests, or at least processed very quickly

1) correct
2) no, not exclusively - but as it's a webserver-application (www.city-map.de)
most users just read from the database, while they always do an update
to raise some statistics (page-views counters etc.) - furthermore, there is
an internal content-management system where about 100 editors do inserts and
updates. but there are of course more visitors (>10.000 daily) than editors.
3) yes, many requests are very simple for better performance in a web-application

Swapping does never happen so far.

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com          Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen@topconcepts.com       Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline:  +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
Ihr SMS-Gateway: JETZT NEU unter: http://sms.city-map.de
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563