RE: [HACKERS] Frustration

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема RE: [HACKERS] Frustration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

[snip]

> Another likely explanation is that there's something wrong in
> bufmgr.c's logic for setting and releasing the io_in_progress lock ---
> but a quick look doesn't show any obvious error, and I would have
> thought we'd have found out about any such problem long since.
> Since we're not being buried in reports of stuck-spinlock errors,
> I'm guessing there is some platform-specific problem on your machine.
> No good ideas what it is if it isn't a spinlock failure.

Different from other spinlocks,io_in_progress spinlock is a per bufpage
spinlock and ProcReleaseSpins() doesn't release the spinlock.
If an error(in md.c in most cases) occured while holding the spinlock
,the spinlock would necessarily freeze.

Michael Simms saysERROR:  cannot read block 641 of server
occured before the spinlock stuck abort.

Probably it is an original cause of the spinlock freeze.

However I don't understand the following status of his machine.

/dev/hda3              1109780    704964    347461  67% /
/dev/hda1                33149      6140     25297  20% /boot
/dev/hdc1              9515145   3248272   5773207  36% /home
/dev/hdb1               402852    154144    227903  40% /tmp
/dev/sda1   30356106785018642307    43892061535609608   0 100%
/var/lib/pgsql

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp