Re: I was spoiled by the MySQL timestamp field

От Matthew Nuzum
Тема Re: I was spoiled by the MySQL timestamp field
Дата
Re: I was spoiled by the MySQL timestamp field  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
Список pgsql-general
One word of caution, I *think* you want quotes around the 'now()'
statement in your table definition. Otherwise your default value will be
the instant the *table* was created, not the instant your insert
happened.

I too had an adjustment period when switching from MySQL to postgres.
However, I think you'll find that if you use a RULE to implement this
feature you will soon become addicted to PostgreSQL's advanced feature
set.

You can learn more about rules by going to
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node124.html where you
can find a brief description and example, or for more detail, you can go
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/rules-insert
.html

I attained all of my database knowledge through hands on experience;
much of it on MySQL.  Switching to PostgreSQL was somewhat traumatic
because it has a lot more power and a lot more features.  Once I got a
handle on things like Views, Triggers and Rules, I have become somewhat
dependant on them and I haven't been able to use MySQL for anything more
than the most basic of applications.  I guess that's just a warning...
There may be no turning back.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org