Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

От Robert B. Easter
Тема Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I guess this is a little off topic, but anyhow...

See:
man 8 ld.so
man 8 ldconfig

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is generally harmless.  Set inside a user's .profile, it
allows a user to have user-specific searchable lib directories in addition to
global lib directories kept in /etc/ld.so.conf and/or a globally set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

You can just put the postgresql lib directory in /etc/ld.so.conf and run
ldconfig.

Recently, I was starting to run two versions of postgres on the same
computer, so I had to take the lib out of /etc/ld.so.conf and start putting
it into user .profiles' LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Some users will use one pg lib
directory for one version of postgres, and other users have a different pg
lib dir in LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the right libraries are used for the
different versions installed.  Likewise, users of different versions of pg
have different $PGHOME, $PGLIB, $PGDATA, $PGPORT, and $PATH settings so that
the right versions are executed on their paths.  Each version/instance has to
use a different port.

The only danger that I could imagine, if it is even possible, is some local
users compiling their own versions of system libraries with compromising code
in them.  Then, putting those libs in their LD_LIBRARY_PATH and running a
program that uses those libs and is suid root.  Again, I'm not sure that kind
of breach is possible though or if it is, how to lock down an environment
variable so it can't be abused.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -