Re: a "huge" table with small rows and culumns

От Denis Perchine
Тема Re: a "huge" table with small rows and culumns
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > > If this is a production database that is being used by a lot of people,
> > > you should run the vacuum on a regular basis, like maybe overnight as a
> > > cron job.
> >
> > That's really bad idea if you have 7.0.x. There are deadlocks possible.
> > :-(((
>
> Hey, I thought this is a standard method???!!! What do you suggest
> instead?

Yes, this is standard method. But there is really bad deadlock inside 7.0.x
code. And it is possible that if you have high load on database, vacuum will
just locked waiting for a lock, while some other backend will need lock
vacuum have for other operation. This fixed in current CVS a month ago, but
there is no patch for 7.0.x. I am not so sure in my knowledge of postgresql
internals to fix this. If you are not worry, you can run on 7.1.x (I would
not recommend this).

All above means that there is no real solutions. If your database is not
heavily loaded you will never see such problems. I saw them each day until I
did not remove vacuum from crontab. I do it manually now.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com
HomePage: http://www.perchine.com/dyp/
FidoNet: 2:5000/120.5

Сообщение: Re: a "huge" table with small rows and culumns
Сообщение: Re: a "huge" table with small rows and culumns