Re: How to represent a tree-structure in a relational database

От Robert B. Easter
Тема Re: How to represent a tree-structure in a relational database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 13 December 2000 18:05, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Frank, etc:
> > > create table Category (
> > > CategoryID       int4  not null  primary key,
> > > ParentCategoryID int4  not null  REFERENCES Category (CategoryID),
> > > CategoryName     varchar(100)
> > > );

I made a message board with a hierarchy for topics/boards under which
messages go into a post/reply hierarchy at www.comptechnews.com.  I used the
parent_id idea like in the table above.

It's working OK and, yes, I can easily move nodes around without problems.  I
can move/reparent Topic/boards and posts/replies (posts and replies are
treated nearly the same, just that a post has a parent-post-id of 0 while a
reply message's parent-post-id is non-zero).  This arrangement combined with
the use of PL/pgSQL trigger functions can go a long way.

I did not use any foreign keys but just had the PL/pgSQL triggers do any
checks I wanted myself.  So, its easy to make triggers that do things like
automatically delete an entire hierarchy when a node(message or topic) is
deleted.  Like, if you delete a post, it deletes all its replies
automatically.  If you delete a reply, it deletes any child/replies that it
might have etc.  If you delete a topic/board, it deletes all messages that
were in that topic and any subtopics and messages in those subtopics
recursively.  The PL/pgSQL can be used to RAISE EXCEPTION when something you
don't want to happen is attempted (like deleting the root topic!), which then
automatically ABORTs the transaction.

You will want to make heavy use of procedures in the database to ensure
integrity.  You might be able to use FOREIGN KEY triggers also but with
careful use of BEFORE and AFTER PL/pgSQL triggers. In my case, I had somekind
of conflict between what my PL/pgSQL triggers where doing and what the
foreign key triggers were doing. The stuff my PL/pgSQL were doing caused
referential integrity violations sometimes.  You have to be real careful what
goes into a BEFORE trigger and what goes into an AFTER trigger.  Trying to
make a BEFORE trigger or an AFTER trigger do too much will end up in trouble
so you have to split what you want to do into two triggers for a table.  The
CONSTRAINT TRIGGERs that get created automatically by FOREIGN KEYs are called
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE|DELETE and are NOT DEFERRABLE and INITIALLY IMMEDIATE.
You have to keep that in mind in writing your procedures.  In the end, I
judged the contraint triggers to interfere with what I wanted to do and
removed them.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -