Re: Reliability Stability of PgSQL & it's JDBC driver

От Robert B. Easter
Тема Re: Reliability Stability of PgSQL & it's JDBC driver
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 13 December 2000 10:05, Nathan Barnett wrote:
> Nikhil,
>
> Vacuuming the DB removes deleted entries from the database as they are not
> actually deleted when you use SQL to delete them, just marked as deleted.
> This operation clears up space and rearranges the data.  If you don't
> perform many deletes,  you may not need to run this.  The only wrinkle is
> that you have to use the ANALYZE command to allow the database to generate
> statistics used in query planning.  You should run this perdiodically after
> a large number of inserts or deletes has taken place.  This command must be
> used in conjunction with VACUUM which slows down the database.  There was
> talk of allowing the ANALYZE command to run independently of the VACUUM
> command, but I'm not sure when this will happen.  I'm not completely clear
> on WAL functionality, but I believe that it automatically reuses the space
> taken up by deleted rows in the database.  Someone on the list can probably
> correct me if any of this is incorrect.

> Nathan Barnett

Do UPDATEs also leave the old tuple behind to be cleaned out by VACUUM?  If
so, then VACUUM is needed not only if you do many deletes, but also if you do
lots of updates.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -