Re: postmaster service now fails to start under win2k

От Brian Babey
Тема Re: postmaster service now fails to start under win2k
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hey guys,

Thank you for all your help so far, I really appreciate it, still a few
problems though +). As for the permissions to the data directory (thanks
Dave), I had been setting them with chown, and apparently this was not
working properly. When I tried out your suggestion for logging Cedric, the
log file immediately showed a Permission denied error, which I fixed by
logging into windows as the postgres user and then running initdb to create
the data dirs.

Now that I have this logfile to browse, I am yet again confused as to the
behavior of the postmaster service. With everything set up to run as
Administrator, I have no errors still, but when I set up for postgres, the
service will not start and the log reads as follows (I apologize for the
longishness of the text):
--
$ cat /home/postgres/err.log
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1441792, 03600) failed: Not enough

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 1441792 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.
--
I checked out the Administrator's Guide on the web and I didn't see anything
very clear relating to Cygwin on this topic; is there anything important

Brian