Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 2K Inform User on Record changes

От Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 2K Inform User on Record changes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Stavros,

I have written an example application using a VFP7 front-end to a Postgres 7.2.1 back-end server.  It uses a timer control to call a sql_refresh method in a VFP form.  If the timer is off, the form can also be refreshed by clicking on a refresh button.  All transactions are timestapped at the time of insert or update.  Postgres maintains an index of the timestamp.  An app global variables hold the time of when the user starts the app, so only transactions that have changed since the user began the app are selected from Postgres via SQL to compare to existing front-end transactions to update for any changes.   If your interested and have Visual FoxPro 7, the example app can be downloaded from:.

  It free and complete with all source  After entering the site go to option 18.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 7:51 PM
Subject: [INTERFACES] MS Access 2K Inform User on Record changes

  I have been very troubled the last days trying various ways to notify the frontend MS Access 2K Client when a table on the Backend has changed.
  All my attempts have resulted to a failure.
  I realise now that the Notify/Listen solution is not going to work. I also tried to create an external C routine, callable by Trigger, which was using a TCP/IP socket to connect to each client but I didn't manage to convince it to work without crashing.
  I would greatly appreciate a working example, or a point to a solution of whatever form.

  I am using PostgreSQL 7.2 running on RedHat Linux 7 networked with 8 clients running Win9x and MSAccess2K on a plain 10MBps Ethernet Network.

  Thanks in advance, Stavros