Re: PostgreSQL Database performance

От Pradeep
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Database performance
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Database performance  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

Dear Naveed,

I am using PostgreSQL 9.3 version on Windows .After changing these parameters, I have not seen any resource management utilization.

I have observed before and after changing  the parameter values ,it is not reflecting the memory level. Maximum utilization of RAM is 3GB only.

So kindly let me ,whether it will impact the  RAM utilization or not?

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep Kanth

Ext : 3026

From: Naveed Shaikh [mailto:naveed.shaikh@enterprisedb.com]
Sent: 06 September, 2016 11:22 PM
To: Pradeep
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Database performance

Which version of PostgreSQL are you using on your windows?

Increasing work_mem can lead to far less disk-swapping, and therefore far quicker queries. However, it can cause problems if set too high, and should be constrained taking into account max_connections. The following calculation is what is typically recommended to determine a decent work_mem value:

Total RAM * 0.25 / max_connections

If there are large reporting queries that run on the database which require more work memory than a typical connection,work_mem can be set for those particular queries. If, for example, there is a reporting user that only runs infrequent but large reports, a specific work_mem setting can be applied to that particular role.
e.g.

ALTER ROLE reporting SET work_mem = '64MB';

---

Warm Regards,

Naveed Shaikh