RE: Happy column adding (was RE: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping)

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема RE: Happy column adding (was RE: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Oh,I found it from Ross's posting.
   General Rules
   1) The column defined by the <column definition> is added to T.
   2) Let C be the column added to T. Every value in C is the default      value for C.
      Note: The default value of a column is defined in Subclause 11.5,      "<default clause>"

Is this reasonable ?
.
> I think the case was about adding a NOT NULL column and setting
> current NULL
> columns to DEFAULT seemed like a natural thing to do.
>
> But, considering the fact that DEFAULT can be something reaaly
> complex, like
> function that does a lot of things, it may be better to have the
> constraints
> checked at the end of transaction, like
>
> BEGIN;
> ALTER TABLE T1 ADD COLUMN C1 TEXT NOT NULL;

Isn't 'iNITIALLY DEFERRED' needed ?
ALTER TABLE T1 ADD COLUMN C1 TEXT NOT NULL INITIALLY DEFERRED;

> UPDATE T1 SET C1='MYDEFAULTVALUE';
> COMMIT;

It seems more reasonable than standard.
But is it worth breaking SQL standard ?