Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL

От Balazs Wellisch
Тема Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL
Дата
Re: Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
Список pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I’m in the process of initiating a movement in our company to move towards open source software use. As part of this movement I will be recommending PostgreSQL as an alternative to the currently used MSSQL. I’m going with PostgreSQL over MySQL because of the much more complete feature set it provides. (After having used MSSQL for quite some time not having triggers, foreign keys, sub selects, etc. is not an option.)

However, to be able to justify the move I will have to demonstrate that PostgreSQL is up to par with MSSQL and MySQL when it comes to performance. After having read through the docs and the lists it seems obvious that PostgreSQL is not configured for high performance out of the box. I don’t have months to learn the ins and outs of PostgreSQL performance tuning so I looked around to see if there are any preconfigured solutions out there.

I found that Red Hat Database 2.1 comes with PostgreSQL installed. However, as far as I can tell it comes with postgreSQL 7.2 and it requires Red Hat 8.0 or Red Hat Advanced Server which is based on Red Hat 7.2. Would I be better off installing Red Hat 9.0 and PostgreSQL 7.3 and try to performance tune the installation myself, or should I buy Red Hat Advanced Server and install Red Hat Database 2.1? (Let’s say money is no object)

So, does anyone here have any experience using RH AS and DB 2.1?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

Balazs