Re: [HACKERS] CORBA interface in backend?

От Jeff Hoffmann
Тема Re: [HACKERS] CORBA interface in backend?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
>> This is where it gets tricky. Which existing ORB are you thinking about?
>> know of only two free ORBs: The Gnome one (orbit) and mico. Orbit is
GPLed
>> so there's a problem with PostgreSQL becoming GPLed. However, as long as
>> PostgreSQL remain free under the BSD license that should be okay. But we
>> defintely lose the possibility to make this a commercial product. Not
that
>> we want to do so.

there's also omniORB (http://www.orl.co.uk) which i found when i was looking
for vnc.  haven't used it, don't know much about it, but i believe it's also
LGPL'd (maybe GPL'd)

> Both are GPLd then, as I'm doing work with MICO and FreeBSD, and
>just checked their license files.
>
> Now, here is where *I* get confused.  MICO uses LGPL for its
>libraries, so does this mean that the ORB hooks could be added where
>applicable, still under the BSD license, but in order to compile it in,
>mico's libraries would have to be installed first?  Its something we
>check for/do with the tcl stuff...
>
> So, could the ORB hooks be added with a config option of
>'--enable-orb' *without* the requirement for adding in any GPLd code?

an abstract orb interface?  sounds good as long as someone else is doing the
work.