Re: Could not Store French Accent Marks Correctly in Postgres

От Jonathan Bond-Caron
Тема Re: Could not Store French Accent Marks Correctly in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri Aug 20 05:10 PM, Wang, Mary Y wrote:

> So my questions are:
> (1) What is the best character encoding that would work for most of
> those languages that have accent marks?

Store data in PostgreSQL as UTF-8

> (2) I assume that I also
> need to do some kind of conversion in the front end (PHP) as well.
>
> I'm running on Linux and Postgres 8.3.8.

If users are submitting the file names using an HTML form, use:
<head>
</head>

If using some other method, the common encoding in Europe,north america is
CP1252, in php you can convert to UTF8 using:
mb_convert_encoding($str, 'UTF-8', 'Windows-1252');
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-convert-encoding.php