Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure (re-sent, shorter)

От Stephen Brearley
Тема Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure (re-sent, shorter)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi Folks/Alvaro

On re-installing Postgres, I have not been able to get it to work. During re-installation I get an error message saying the program exited with an error code, but otherwise appears to be okay. However, when I go into pgadmin and enter my password to connect to the server (any password gives the same response), I get a popup saying ‘Server doesn’t listen’, could not connect, connection refused etc’. The setup defaults to port 5432 during the install process. I’ve checked postgresql.conf which has not been installed, but I’ve looked at an old copy that I moved into the data folder, and that looks at port 5432.

Postgres was working okay before, so I don’t think it’s a problem with my system or firewall, as I have not changed anything. After my initial install, I edited the registry to point to the D: drive, as I prefer to have my data stored on a separate partition, and this worked okay. The uninstall leaves the data folder intact, and appears to leave the old service password in case other services use it. Consequently it will not allow me access to pg.log, even with administrator privileges, only by using pgadmin. The Postgres install will not install with a data folder that is not empty, so I had to re-name my data folder to data_old, and moved the contents back in afterwards. The registry seems to be pointing to the right place to find my data.

From the install log (as attached), I see Postgres complains that loadmodules.vbs and adminpack did not install correctly. When I inspected the adminpack directory it was empty, but I’m thinking that there could be something else wrong. On my latest attempt to re-install, I don’t seem to be able to get anywhere with pgadmin, as when I try to connect I get a fatal password authentication error now.

The main difficulty seems to be trying to re-install Postgres. If you already have created a database, the install program balks at having a data folder that is not empty, causing me to use the above workaround to copy back my data afterwards. Should be able to do this!

Thanks

  Stephen

Вложения