Re: Date Index

От Ryan Hansen
Тема Re: Date Index
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Incidentally,  extract(date from ts) doesn't work on my install of 8.3
(standard Ubuntu Hardy apt install).  I get a "timestamp units "date" not
recognized" error when I try it.  The field I'm trying to create it on is
"timestamp without time zone".

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]
On Behalf Of A. Kretschmer
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 1:49 AM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Date Index

am  Thu, dem 30.10.2008, um 14:49:16 -0600 mailte Ryan Hansen folgendes:
> Hey all,
>

> I?m apparently too lazy to figure this out on my own so maybe one of you
can
> just make it easy on me. J
>

> I want to index a timestamp field but I only want the index to include the
> yyyy-mm-dd portion of the date, not the time.  I figure this would be
where the
> ?expression? portion of the CREATE INDEX syntax would come in, but I?m not
sure
> I understand what the syntax would be for this.
>

> Any suggestions?

Sure.

You can create an index based on a function, but only if the function is
immutable:

test=# create table foo (ts timestamptz);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts));
ERROR:  functions in index expression must be marked IMMUTABLE

To solve this problem specify the timezone:

For the same table as above:
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts at time zone
'cet'));
CREATE INDEX

If you have a timestamp whitout timezone it is much easier:
test=# create table foo (ts timestamp);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts));
CREATE INDEX

Hope thats help, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer