Re: JTable and ResultSet TableModel with big resultset

От Stefano B.
Тема Re: JTable and ResultSet TableModel with big resultset
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi, thanks for your help!

I'll read the documentation about using cursor with postgres.

But now, I have a new idea (always RMI or servlet based):

1) Using the "data blocks" (client cache) as you said
2) When the client execute a query like "select * from mytable order by
myfield", it sends the request to the RMI server, and the server execute the
query, get the resultset and creates a "pagination structures":

with "pagination structures" I mean that the server scroll the entire
resultset and every 1000 tuples it records the myfield value in a separate
structure. In this way the client application can do requests as: "give me
mytable page number 100 order by myfield" and the server can do this with
the following query:

if 'myfield' is for example the 'name' field:

        //get pagination values for page 100
        val1 = pagination_structure[99]; //val1 = Peter (for example)
        val2 = pagination_structure[100]; //val2 = Ralph

execute the query:

    select * from mytable where name >= 'Peter' and name <= 'Ralph' order by
name;

this query will return 1000 tuples.
NOTE: the pagination structure is used in order to avoid the use of
limit/offset keywords that are very expensive for the dbms

and so on....
if the client app. request the following to the RMI (or servlet based)
server:

give me the mytable page 1 order by name where the name like 'A%' and
surname like '%n'

the server will do the following:
1)execute the query: select * from mytable where name like 'A%' and surname
like '%n' order by name

2) creates the pagination structures: read all tuples of this resultset and
every 1000 tutples records the "name value".

3) returns the requested client page executing:

        //get the first page getting the pagination structure value [0] (the
first 'name' value of the resultset) and [1] (the 'name' value after 1000
rows)
        val1 = pagination_structure[0]; //val1 = Aabh
        val2 = pagination_structure[1]; //val2 = Ahhh

(between the name 'Aabh' and 'Ahhh' there are 998 rows)

execute: select * from mytable where (name >= 'Aabh' and name <= 'Ahhh') and
name like 'A%' and surname like '%n' order by name

If in the JDBC maling list there is somebody that have a best solution using
cursor... is welcome!
I'll read
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/plpgsql-cursors.html
but I never used the cursor directly ...

Thanks.
Stefano