Re: OR clause causing strange index performance

От Atesz
Тема Re: OR clause causing strange index performance
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi!

I read your JOIN - Index Scaning - OR problem. I don't understand why
you decomposed JOINs two brach (ul1 and ul2).
If I understand your problem well I can suggest the next idea for your
QUERY (you don't need two branch):

SELECT *  FROM  permissions p INNER JOIN users u       ON u.id  = p.id INNER JOIN user_list ul  ON ul.id = u.id INNER
JOINlists l          ON ( l.list_id1 = ul.list_id1 AND

l.list_id2 = ul.list_id2 )
WHERE  (ul.type = '1' OR ul.type= '2') and p.code = '123456' AND p.type =
'User';

If ul.type field is integer you can optimze the OR (which can cause
index scan problem and low performance) with BETWEEN:

SELECT *  FROM  permissions p INNER JOIN users u       ON u.id  = p.id INNER JOIN user_list ul  ON ul.id = u.id INNER
JOINlists l          ON ( l.list_id1 = ul.list_id1 AND

l.list_id2 = ul.list_id2 )
WHERE  ul.type BETWEEN 1 AND 2   and p.code = '123456' AND p.type = 'User';

After that you need some good index on ul.type, p.code and p.type. You
have to think about creating indices. Analyse the results of explain!!!
In my opinion this solution may be very fast.

Regards,
Antal Attila