could not bind IPv4 socket

От Grzegorz Buś
Тема could not bind IPv4 socket
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm using Centos 4.7 and after upgrading PostgreSQL to version 8.3.7 (from ver. 7.4)  via yum I cannot connect to my postgres server from remote hosts.

I know that for PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0 remote connections can only be set in postgresql.conf allowing them in “listen_addresses” parameter. My settings are following:

listen_addresses = 'localhost,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is IP address of remote client that I want to be able to use PostgreSQL server. Port is default.

When I start server (service postgresql start) I receive status [OK], but in pgstartup.log there is information about some errors (or rather warnings – but that’s why remote connections don’t work):

WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address

HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

Of course – there is no other instance of PostgreSQL serve nor any other application is using this TCP port. This commands returns empty string:

netstat -plunt | grep 5432

pg -A | grep postmaster

I must add that everything works fine for my local apps – they can easily connect to the server. I also tried few other non-default ports from range 60000+ with same result. Additionally, previous version (7.4) had no problems for accepting remote connections.

Thanks,

Grzegorz Bus