Re: Cancel query based on a timeout

От Carl E. McMillin
Тема Re: Cancel query based on a timeout
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

We are working on a similar problem - timeouts of long-running requests.  We
are also currently using 7.3.4 for Postgres, but we are using Java, JDBC,
and PL/PGSql.

Question: Does Delphi have structured exception-handling?  The solution
we've found requires the ability to descriminate between exception-types and
the ability to catch and throw execeptions in a safe fashion.  If Delphi
does have SHE, then I think our solution could be mapped into Delphi without
much trouble.

The solution we've come up with is to add a "waiting procedure" table to the
database, along with some stored-procedures to manage the table.  We call
this the "waitingproc" subsystem.

The "waitingproc" subsystem can then be used by client-side code (thru JDBC
calls; ODBC should be able to handle the particular subset we are dealing
with here) to detect when a server-side process overruns its alloted time.
The client then has the option to abort the transaction and/or restart the
server-side process.

Of course, the problem we are throwing the "waitingproc" subsystem at is not
your problem, but I think some of the core concepts/procedures are usuable.

Let me know if you'd like the Java and PL/PGSql source.  The Java code is
fairly extensive and is mixed in with other business-logic, but I can help
you thru the rough parts.

Carl <|};-)>