Re: Re: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions

От Steve Wolfe
Тема Re: Re: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 03:53:22PM -0600, Alex Howansky wrote:
> > levels. Still, you'd think that even a "slow" RAID-5 configuration would
be
> > faster than a $98 IDE drive...
>
> I wouldn't.

  You'd be wrong. : )

   I've also copied large amounts of data from an IDE drive to an old AMI
MegaRAID controller with some old Quantum drives in a RAID 5 configuration.
The RAID was still faster at writing than the relatively modern IDE drive
could read.  Not to mention that in an environment like a database server
where you may have many processes accessing the disk at once, a SCSI RAID
array makes IDE look like a toy.

steve