Re: a very big table

От Sean Davis
Тема Re: a very big table
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
----- Original Message -----
From: "_moray" <moray1.geo@yahoo.com>
To: <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:25 PM
Subject: [SQL] a very big table

> hullo all,
>
> I have a problem with a table containing a lot of data.
>
> referred tables "inserzionista" and "pubblicazioni" (referenced 2 times)
> have resp. 1909 tuples and 8300 tuples, while this one 54942.
>
> now the problem is that it is slow, also a simple "select * from
> pubblicita". (it takes 5-6 seconds on my P4@1,6Ghz laptop...)
>
> I tried using some indexes, but the main problem is that I am using a php
> script to access the data that builds the query according to user input.

Generally, you need to have an index for any column that will appear in a
'where' clause or be referenced as a foreign key. The referencing columns
should be declared "unique" or "primary key" and will also then be indexed.
So, any column that is on the left or right of an '=' sign in a join or a
'where' clause should probably be indexed.   There are exceptions, but that
is the general rule.  Also, after you make your indices, you need to
remember to vacuum analyze.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: