Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a new project.

От Carl E. McMillin
Тема Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a new project.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jumping on that bandwagon with all 6 feet!

Carl <|};-)>

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of
pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 9:38 PM
To: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: [HACKERS] I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a new
project.

I have been harping for the last few days (years, actually) about tweaks and
changes to PostgreSQL for a number of reasons ranging from session
management to static tables. I even had a notion to come up with msession on
PostgreSQL.

I have been incorporating full text search, recommendations, and a slew of
other features into PostgreSQL, but you know what? While it does touch
Postgre in a real sense, it is not strictly SQL. It is about how to create
applications with PostgreSQL. That's what we're missing, Coneptually,
PostgreSQL is strictly a database and the core team (rightly so) is
fundimentally happy with that aspect of it.

Maybe we need a pgfoundary project called "PostgreSQL Application Server."
Like Apache Tomcat or regular apache or PHP, PostgreSQL could form the SQL
base of a far more intricate and flexable framework that encompases a lot of
the various features that could provide "application sever" features from
PostgreSQL.

TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo@postgresql.org)