Operator clasess and index

От Darko Prenosil
Тема Operator clasess and index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have question for someone who is familiar with indexes and index classes.

I tried to write a "begins with"  operator to use it instead of LIKE 'xx%',
because LIKE 'xx%' can't use index.

These are steps I did:

1. Created function that returns true if "strInput" begins with "strMatch":

 CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION begins_with(varchar, varchar) RETURNS boolean AS '
     DECLARE strInput ALIAS FOR $1;
             strMatch ALIAS FOR $2;
             nLenMatch INTEGER;
             nLenStr INTEGER;
 BEGIN
     nLenStr=char_length(strInput);
     nLenMatch=char_length(strMatch);
     IF nLenStr<nLenMatch THEN
         RETURN false;
     END IF;
     IF substr(strInput,1,nLenMatch)=strMatch THEN
         RETURN true;
     END IF;
     RETURN false;
 END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

2. Created operator <==
 DROP OPERATOR <== (varchar,varchar);
 CREATE OPERATOR <==
  ( leftarg = varchar,
  rightarg = varchar,
  procedure = begins_with , restrict = eqsel, join = eqjoinsel );

3. Inserted record for begins_with in pg_ampop:
 INSERT INTO pg_amop
        (amopclaid, amopstrategy, amopreqcheck, amopopr)
 SELECT
       (SELECT pg_opclass.oid FROM pg_opclass WHERE opcamid = (SELECT oid FROM pg_am WHERE amname = 'btree') AND opcname = 'varchar_ops'),
       6,
       false,
       (SELECT o.oid FROM pg_operator o, pg_type t  WHERE o.oprname = '<==' and o.oprleft = t.oid and o.oprright = t.oid and t.typname = 'varchar');

4. Created index on table:
 CREATE INDEX ix_zemlje_naziv ON zemlje USING btree(naziv);

5. When I try to get plan for this :
 EXPLAIN SELECT * from zemlje WHERE naziv<=='A';

 I got :
 Index Scan using ix_zemlje_naziv on zemlje  (cost=0.00..17.07 rows=5 width=405)

It seem that everything is ok, but when I execute the query I got empty recordset.
 Function begins_with returns true, I did check it, but recordset is empty.

 When I skip step 3, results are fine, but operator is not using index !

Is there way to do this ?

Best regards !