Re: Caching number of blocks in relation to avoi lseek.

От Denis Perchine
Тема Re: Caching number of blocks in relation to avoi lseek.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Question: is this field properly updated? Could it be used instead of RelationGetNumberOfBlocks
> > which calls lseek.
>
> Probably should be kept up-to-date.  Currently only vacuum sets it.  It
> would have to be kept up-to-date for every INSERT/UPDATE that adds a block.

If we can acomplish this it will be quite big speed improvement. I saw lots of such calls
and strace show lots of lseek(,,END) calls. I would do this, but I do not know the code so
well to be sure I will walk through all places.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com