Re: Odd release numbers for development versions?

От Robert B. Easter
Тема Re: Odd release numbers for development versions?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > "Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
> > > Like 7.0.x would be the current stable branch. 7.1.x, the current
> > > development branch.  The next stable branch would be 7.2.x.  Within
> > > the current even release stable branch, maybe only do bug fixes.  In
> > > the odd dev releases, focus on new/experiemental.  Both branches could
> > > have very frequent *.x revisions/builds.
>
> > This has been proposed before, and rejected before.  The key developers
> > mostly don't believe that the Linux style "release early, release often"
> > approach is appropriate for the Postgres project.  Few people are
> > interested in running beta-quality databases, so there's no point in
> > going to the effort of maintaining two development tracks.

Ok.  If the key developers feel its not a good idea for this project, I can
accept that.  Just suggested it since now would have been an opportune time to
start that numbering scheme.

> "Release Stable; release when necessary" is all that is needed when the
> developers use CVS properly.  You want to be a developer?  Grab the CVS
> tree and start hacking.  Patches are readily accepted if they are
> acceptable.

Thanks for the invitation.  I'd like contributing something back to this
project someday.

--
Robert B. Easter
reaster@comptechnews.com