Re: Reduce maximum error in tuples estimation after vacuum.

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Reduce maximum error in tuples estimation after vacuum.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:58 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:40 AM Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > I've recovered from messing up.
> >
> > <snip>
> > > Please let me have a bit of time to diagnose this.
> >
> > I was completely messed up and walking on the wrong way. I looked
> into
> > the vacuum for UPDATEs, not DELETE's so it's quite resonable to have
> > such results.
> >
> > The renewed test script attached shows the verbose output of vacuum
> > after the deletes. I had following output from it.
> >
> > # I belive this runs for you..
> >
> > | INFO: "t": found 989999 removable, 110 nonremovable row
> > |       versions in 6308 out of 10829 pages
> >
> > On such a case of partially-scanned, lazy_scan_heap() tries to
> estimate
> > resulting num_tuples in vac_estimate_reltuples() assuming the
> > uniformity of tuple density, which failes for such a a strong
> imbalance
> > made by bulk updates.
> >
> > Do you find any differences between what you will have and the
> > following I had?
>
> I could see the same output with your latest script, also I could
> reproduce
> the test if I run the test with individual sql statements.
> One of the main point for reproducing individual test was to keep
> autovacuum
> = off.

I checked further that why I could not reproduce the issue with
autovacuum=on.
The reason is that it starts analyzer which changes the value for reltuples
in pg_class and after that the estimated and real values become same.
Kindly refer below code:

relation_needs_vacanalyze()
{
..
anltuples = tabentry->changes_since_analyze;
..
anlthresh = (float4) anl_base_thresh + anl_scale_factor * reltuples;
..
*doanalyze = (anltuples > anlthresh);
}

Test Results
--------------

postgres=# drop table if exists t;
DROP TABLE
postgres=# create table t (a int, b int, c int, d int default 0, e int
default 0
, f int default 0);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into t (select a, (random() * 100000)::int from
generate_serie
s((select count(*) from t) + 1, 1000000) a);
INSERT 0 1000000
postgres=# update t set b = b + 1 where a <  (select count(*) from t) * 0.7;

UPDATE 699999
postgres=# vacuum t;
VACUUM
postgres=# delete from t where a < (select count(*) from t) * 0.99;
DELETE 989999
postgres=# vacuum t;
VACUUM
postgres=# select c.relpages, s.n_live_tup, c.reltuples, (select count(*)
from t
) as tuples, reltuples::float / (select count(*) from t) as ratio  from
pg_stat_
user_tables s, pg_class c where s.relname = 't' and c.relname = 't'; relpages | n_live_tup | reltuples | tuples |
ratio

----------+------------+-----------+--------+------------------     6370 |     417600 |    417600 |  10001 |
41.7558244175582

(1 row)

Here I waited for 1 minute (sufficient time so that analyzer should get
trigger if required).
Infact if you run Analyze t, that also would have served the purpose.

postgres=# select c.relpages, s.n_live_tup, c.reltuples, (select count(*)
from t
) as tuples, reltuples::float / (select count(*) from t) as ratio  from
pg_stat_
user_tables s, pg_class c where s.relname = 't' and c.relname = 't'; relpages | n_live_tup | reltuples | tuples | ratio

(1 row)

Now if subsequent analyzer run corrects the estimate, don't you think that
it is sufficient for the problem reported?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.