Re: table synonyms

От
Тема Re: table synonyms
Дата
Re: table synonyms  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Список pgsql-general
It will be a very pleasant idea. Although I am
an application developer I don't know if I have
enough knowledge to do that. Do you know how could
I help the PostgreSQL development ?

Another feature I missed is the "returning" clause
of the Oracle "INSERT" SQL command, which allow the
user to retrieve the "serial" value after an insert
command, which works even in a concurrent network
environment.

Thanks a lot.

--
Jayme Jeffman Filho
GSEE - PUCRS
+55 51 91123422

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Nolan
To: tino@wildenhain.de (Tino Wildenhain)
Sent: 24-May-2005 12:49:39 -0300
CC: jjeffman@cpovo.net, pgsql-general@postgresql.org (Postgresql-General)
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] table synonyms
Unless it changed in 8, you can't insert into or update a view.

I don't know if rules will do the trick or not, to be honest I haven't
figured out what they can and cannot do.
As someone who used to use synonyms at the user/schema level in Oracle
as a way to restrict access to a subset tables based on user-specific
criteria (eg, restricting salesman 'X' to only his accounts in the customer
master table), yes, synonyms would be nice.

But if you really want them, become part of the development effort.
--
Mike Nolan