Re: [GENERAL] Query I cannot work out

От K.T.
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Query I cannot work out
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hmmm...its easier to read when you place the key'd column first and the data
second :)

If I understand you right:
t1 = detail table
t2 = master (or summary or cumulative or historical) table
var1 = data to be sum'd
var2 = key value

If the table is being used to summarize data on a daily/weekly basis to make
it faster for users to access the numbers you might want to try saving each
sum with a timestamp for that day and adding all the ones that were done in
a week when ever you want to display totals for a week.  This allows you
reprocess the total if for some reason processing fails.  Same thing applies
if it is a summary of data so that you can archive the existing detail data
and forget about it...(and more importantly you dont have to add the sum'd
value to an existing historical value :)

Sorry I don't have the time to actually sit down and work out the exact SQL,
bur here's a genaral description...
To do the query using your requirements, you will have to do it in multiple
steps cause you cant combine an aggregate function like SUM with non
aggregate calculations (I think).  So first do a Insert/select to a temp
table summing the detail values and then update/select to add them to the
cumulative value and write out.