Re: Postgres Instability

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Postgres Instability
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 May 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2000, planx plnetx wrote:
> This sounds like a Linux problem to me ... I've got v7.0 running on a
> server over here that is dealign with the Search engine for the PostgreSQL
> site (over 10million tuples in one table, indexing over 90k URLs) and the
> server has been running flawlessly for the past ~14days now, and what is
> only because that was the last time we rebooted it ...

And, likewise, I have experienced zero instability on RedHat Linux recently.
(Well, since version 6.3.2, that is -- 6.2.1 was, well, not up to 7.0 standards
-- but, that wasn't RedHat 4.1's fault (even though that particular RH Linux
release STILL gives me the creeps....)).

Check the hardware, too, as flakey cache SRAM chips can cause weird problems,
as can flakey disk drive cabling (been there, done that with my development
box...:-(.).

Incidentally, I'm still overwhelmed with some of the questions and applications
I get e-mailed to me about the RPMset.  I guess the one that blew me over the
most were the guys running Linux/390 who were having trouble installing the
RPMset (that's Linux for IBM System 390 mainframes -- I _want_ to see THAT box
benchmarked!).  I told them that I hadn't a clue about that big iron -- but
that I was very interested in the results! (which I haven't heard back from
them -- maybe I should touch base...)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio